Discharge into the drinking water system occurs when water is no longer used. Backflow occurs by accident or due to poor connections to pipes or "faulty junctions".

A faulty junction is a connection between a drinking water system and any other source of water, and may occur in the following places:

  • Secondary water supply (pond water)
  • Cooling towers
  • Sprinkler systems
  • Boiler systems
  • Laboratory equipment (medical and industrial)
  • Lawn sprinkler systems
  • Solar water heaters
  • pools
  • Water recirculation devices
  • Environmentally friendly or environmentally friendly building systems
  • Treatment tanks

Why is repression a problem?

When backflows occur, contaminants such as chemicals, pathogens, and non-drinking water can be sucked into the city's water system, contaminating drinking water.

This dangerous dangerous situation can be avoided by properly installing a backflow preventer. The facility is relatively inexpensive and protects the drinking water supply.


By-law on the prevention of backflow into drinking water

The City of Greater Sudbury Drinking Water Prevention Regulation requires the installation and regular maintenance of backflow preventers in the city's drinking water system. You must respect the regulation on backflow prevention if you are:

  • an industrial, commercial or institutional client (ICI);
  • the owner of a high-risk residence in the City of Greater Sudbury.

If you are not sure that this regulation applies to you, please consult our regulation on the prevention of backflow into drinking water.

Forms for Backflow Prevention

To comply with the regulations on the prevention of backfilling, you must complete the following form, at your expense:

Information request

  • Complete an information request for your property by identifying the owner of the device.
  • Inquiry Form (PDF, ?? ko)

Survey on the control of faulty junctions

  • Complete a questionnaire on the control of faulty junctions of the water supply network on your property. An authorized professional must complete this questionnaire, which must be updated every five years when there is a change of vocation of the property.

  •  Report Form of Investigation on the Control of Wrong Crossings (PDF, 127 KB)

Annual verification of the device

Perform regular updates

All forms / reports pertaining to the Backflow Prevention By-law must be completed and witnessed by the appropriate professional and the property owner before being submitted to the City.

How to Select the Proper Discharge Prevention Device

? Backflow preventers must be approved by the Canadian Standards Association.

Installers and testers of certification and certification issued by the Province of Ontario. Here is a list of "Qualified Persons" registered with the City of Greater Sudbury:

  • Al's Plumbing 705.670.0400
  • Lavallee Mechanical Services 705.693.9475
  • Mr. Rooter (Sudbury) 705.521.1398
  • Patrick Mechanical 705.692-3984
  • Wadatek Solutions 705.806.9232
  • Metal-Air Mechanical Systems Ltd 705.897.2526
  • Mr.Pipes Plumbing and Heating 705.822.2022
  • Castle Plumbing & Heating 705.671.8014
  • Greater Sudbury Plumbing, Heating & A / C 705.806.7473
  • ProActive Water Solution 877.535.2837

What is your responsibility?

  • You are responsible for complying with the city bylaw on backflow prevention.
  • All plumbing work and inspections, including cross connection surveys, installation, testing and maintenance of backflow prevention devices must be performed by a qualified person.
  • Use the list of "qualified people" certified to perform these tasks.
  • The installation of a backflow device requires a plumbing permit under the Building Code. Your plumber (Qualified Person) must contact Building Services to obtain a permit. Depending on the type and classification of the building, a mechanical engineer and/or submission of the Cross-Connection Control Survey to Building Services may be required. The installation of the device must be done in accordance with the conditions of the permit issued. Please contact the City's Building Services Department at (705) 674-4455 ext. 4278 for additional permit information.


Compliance with the rules is imperative

  • The Drinking Water Regulation is administered and enforced by Water and Wastewater Services - Compliance. 
  • Compliance Officers are authorized to enter ICI clients and residences in the city, inspect and verify facilities and obtain records. 
  • Compliance Officers may also assist you with information about your compliance.
  • Failure to comply with the rules could result in legal action and the imposition of a fine. Every property owner is responsible for ensuring that the by-law is respected.
  • Customers who do not comply with the municipal by-law may be fined $ 10,000 to $ 20,000 per day, while ICI customers face fine ranging from $ 50,000 to $ 100,000 per day. day.

Learn more

For more information on the City of Greater Sudbury Drinking Water Prevention By-law, call 3-1-1 or send an e-mail to .